Hernando County Clerk of Circuit Court & Comptroller

Do we have to have an attorney?

An attorney is not required.  If you or your spouse have any legal concerns or questions, you should consult an attorney.  The Clerk’s office cannot give you legal advice.

Where can we file a divorce?

A divorce may be filed with the Clerk of the Circuit Court’s office at 20 N. Main St., Room 246, Brooksville, FL 34601.

Do we have to file a divorce in the county where we reside?

No.  You or your spouse must be a resident of the State of Florida for at least the past six months and you may file in any county within the state as long as the other party does not object.  You may want to consult an attorney on the issue.

Are there pro-se packets available?

Yes, but only if you and/or your spouse have been residents of Florida for at least six (6) months.

Divorce - Self Help Centers

Hernando County citizens who represent themselves in court and do not already have a private attorney representing them, may contact the agencies listed below for legal assistance.

Community Legal Services of Mid Florida, Inc.
Legal representation may be provided through this agency for low-income persons.

Family Law Self-Help Coordinator:
Before a final hearing may be scheduled in a dissolution of marriage case, an appointment must be made with the family law self-help coordinator to review the file and ensure that it is complete and all necessary documents are present. If all of the forms are present and correctly completed, a self-help coordinator will schedule a final hearing and advise you of the date and time you are to be in court. If you are representing yourself in a dissolution action, you cannot get a final hearing before the judge without this review.