Hernando County Clerk of Circuit Court & Comptroller

Red button Serena’s Law: Right to Request Info Read On…

A passport is necessary when traveling out of the jurisdiction of the United States.

Instant Passport Photos

We are pleased to announce that we now provide instant photos to accompany the application for U.S. Passport form.

Customers may take advantage of this convenient service at the Government Center in the Official Records Division, 20 N. Main Street, Room 161, Brooksville Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, and at our Spring Hill Office Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  Customers may opt to have their instant photos taken for a minimal fee of $13.00 plus tax.

To Obtain a passport, you must submit the following:

  • A certified copy of your birth certificate with a raised or colored seal and with a filing date within one year of birth. No hospital certificates, birth notices, birth registrations or announcements, naturalization papers, or old passports are acceptable.  If you have misplaced your birth certificate you must provide an affidavit from the Custodian of Records in the county or state you were born stating your birth certificate is not on record and three documents must also be submitted to substantiate the date and place of your birth;
  • One recent passport photo for each passport applied for and photos must meet the U.S. Department of State, Passport Services requirements in size, background and color/contrast;
  • The application fee in the form of a check or money order made payable to the U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE, which is $130.00 per adult and $100.00 for children ages 15 and under; for expedited services, there is an additional $60.00 fee;
  • The clerk processing fee in the form of cash or check made payable to CLERK OF CIRCUIT COURT for $35.00;
  • Identification – A valid Driver’s License or State ID card and a copy of the front and backside of the license or ID on two (2) separate pages;
  • The DS-11 (Application for Passport) –  answer questions 1-22 only.  DO NOT SIGN THE APPLICATION! IT MUST BE SIGNED UNDER OATH IN FRONT OF THE COURT CLERK.

Children 16 and 17 Years of Age:

  • Must provide a valid Driver’s License and have at least one parent present.  The parent(s) applying with the minor must provide a valid photo ID and must also sign the application in the presence of the Acceptance Agent;
  • If at least one parent cannot be present, it is recommended that one or both parents provide parental consent by completing the DS-3053 form and sending it with the minor.  The form requires that the parent signature be notarized, otherwise, there may be a delay in receiving the passport;
  • If the minor does not have a valid Driver’s License, then both parents must be present, show ID, and sign the application in front of an Acceptance Agent.

Children under 16 years of age must be accompanied by their parents.  Both parents’ signatures are required on the application and both parents’ driver’s licenses will be used for identification purposes.  If the child’s last name is not the same as the parents, please inform a clerk.  A certified copy of the marriage certificate or divorce papers may be required to show a link between both names for proof of citizenship.

Passports are valid for 10 years from the date of issuance for individuals age 16 or older and 5 years for individuals ages 15 and younger.  If you wish to renew your passport and it was issued less than 15 years ago you must complete a DS-82 Form.

The above items must be submitted with your application and will be returned along with your passport.  If you have any questions about meeting any of the above requirements, please call the Passport Division at (352)540-6768 located in the Clerk’s Recording Office at 20 North Main Street, Room #161, Brooksville, FL 34601 for more information.  Note:  Because of the time involved in processing the application, we cannot accept applications after 4:30 pm.

Passport applications are mailed via USPS Priority Mail to the US Passport Agency the next business day after submittal to our office. You will receive your passport in the mail directly from the Federal Passport Service. Their current lead times can be found on their website https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html.

If there is an issue after your application has been submitted, please contact the Miami Passport Agency as they make all final decisions regarding the passport applications and documentation.

Miami Passport Agency, Omni Center
Hours: 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Monday – Friday
Phone: 1-877-487-2778
E-mail: NPIC@state.gov
Website: http://www.travel.state.gov/

Passport Fee schedule

Applications for passports are received and processed in all Courthouses.  The following fees apply:

Passport Fee Schedule
U.S. State Dept. Fee-Adult, ages 16 and older (fee payable to appropriate agency)$130.00
U.S. State Dept. Fee – Ages 15 and under (fee payable to appropriate agency)$100.00
Clerk’s Fee$35.00
Photo for U.S. Passport Application$13.00 plus tax

Passport Forms & Links

Existing Applications