Clerk of Circuit Court & Comptroller
Hernando County, Florida

Home > Traffic General Information


Looking for information on a traffic citation? Search our online records.

Please note: the information on this page only applies to civil traffic citations (also known as traffic tickets or infractions).   All criminal traffic citations (DUI, Driving w/licensed suspended knowingly, etc) require a court appearance. If you received a criminal traffic citation, you must appear in County Court on the date and time given to you on your citation to plead to the charges. For additional information, please visit our Criminal section.


I received a civil traffic infraction, what are my options?

Any of the options below must be elected within (30) calendar days from the date of the citation.  If you are mailing your payment, it must be received in the Clerk's office by the 30th day. Payments received after the 30th day will be considered delinquent and will be subjected to a late fee and/or a suspension of your driver's license.

PAY THE TICKET:  If you elect to pay the ticket, you might be eligible to attend traffic school to keep the points from being assessed against your license.  Click here for more information on attending traffic school.

WRITTEN PLEA OF NOT GUILTY:  If you decide to fight the ticket in court, you must complete a Written Plea of Not Guilty  form. If you are unable to access the form, you may mail a statement stating that you wish to plead "Not Guilty",  enclosing a copy of your citation.   You will be assigned a court date in the near future and notified by mail.

AFFIDAVIT OF DEFENSE IN LIEU OF APPEARANCE: If you are unable to appear in person and want to fight the ticket, you must complete an Affidavit of Defense and post an appearance bond in the amount of $150 at the time you file your defense. Your affidavit and defense must be notarized.  The Judge will make a decision based on your statement of defense and the testimony of the issuing officer.  You will be notified of the Judge's decision after the hearing.  You will receive a notice of the hearing date by mail.

MOTION TO CONTINUE: If you would like to request a continuance for your hearing, please submit a Request for Continuance to our office at least five (5) business days prior to your court date.

PLEA NO CONTEST:  If you wish to request that the judge withhold the points (without a court hearing) you may complete the Plea of No Contest (Infraction) form or a Plea of No Contest (Infraction with Crash) form along with the full price of your citation plus $16.74 (pays for a copy of your driving history) to our office within 30 days of the citation.  We will send your plea and driving history to the judge who will make a decision without a court hearing. The Judge's decision and your driving record will be sent to you by mail.


Where can I pay the ticket?

If your traffic citation was issued in Hernando County you have three options for paying (If you want to attend traffic school, don't forget to elect school at the time you are paying):

1.  ONLINE (Click here for more information) 

2.  CALL 1-888-604-7888, Reference PLC 4303 (Click here for more information)

3.  MAIL - personal check made payable to Don Barbee Jr., Clerk of Court, money order, or cashier's check to: (don't forget to include the affidavit and $7 if you are electing traffic school)

Hernando County Clerk of Court
Traffic Department Rm 136
20  N. Main Street
Brooksville, FL 34601
4.  IN PERSON at the addresses below by personal check, cashier's check, money order, cash, or credit card (credit card payments are assessed a 3.5% processing fee).
Hernando County Clerk of Court
Traffic Department Rm 136
20  N. Main Street
Brooksville, FL 34601

7415 Forest Oaks Boulevard

Spring Hill, FL 34606
(in the Forest Oaks Government Center)
How can I receive a reduced fine with "proof"?  
If you receive a non-criminal citation for not carrying a valid license, registration or insurance and your license, registration or insurance was actually valid on the date you received the citation, you can choose to provide that proof to the Clerk's office who will dismiss the citation for a $10.00 administrative fee.  If you receive a criminal citation for certain charges relating to valid license, registration or insurance, you may be able to present a valid or re-instated license, registration or insurance to the Clerk's office before your scheduled court date, plead nolo contendre, sign an Affidavit, (See Forms) and receive a withheld adjudication. The fee for this option is $236.50. This election can be made only once in twelve (12) months and three (3) times in a lifetime. 
Where can I obtain a driving record history?
Driving history records may be purchased at the address above.  A 3 year driving history = $14.25 and a 10 year driving history = $16.25.
How many points can be assessed against my driver's license?
Points are assessed for the following violations:
Moving Violation 3 points
Moving Violation with accident 4 points
Ran Red Light 4 points
Speeding 1 - 15 mph over limit 3 points
Speeding 16 or more mph over limit 4 points
Speeding Violation with accident 6 points