Welcome to the Criminal Department
There are three different types of criminal cases.
Circuit Felony (CF) – any crime punishable by a prison sentence. This category also includes more serious traffic offenses such as fleeing law enforcement and 3rd DUI.
Misdemeanor (MM) – heard in county court, these are non-traffic related offenses punishable by a maximum of one year in the county jail. Ex: Shoplifting and Possession of Marijuana.
Criminal Traffic (CT) – traffic cases that are heard in county court and punishable by a jail term not to exceed one year.
Most traffic tickets are not criminal cases. Click here to visit the traffic ticket section.
Remember! Deputy Clerks cannot provide legal advice. We cannot excuse you from attending a court hearing or even explain why you must attend. If you have questions about your case that cannot be answered by simply reading the documents, please contact your attorney.
Contact Criminal Department
Email or 352-540-6444
Most of the court files in the criminal department are public records. The most common exceptions includes cases that have been expunged or sealed, juvenile delinquency, and some victim information. Images of court records are not available online. Stop by the Central File Room, located in the Criminal Department, during normal business hours to view the file(s). Public computers are provided for your convenience.
Paying Court Costs and Fines
- Cash, money orders, checks, or credit cards accepted in the office.
- Mail payments to Clerk of Court, Criminal Department, 20 N. Main St, Brooksville, FL 34601. Only checks or money orders may be mailed.
- All checks should be payable to Don Barbee, Clerk of Court
- Always note your case number on checks or other forms of payment!
- Credit card payments are also taken over the telephone.
- There is a small fee added for credit card payments
- Has your case already been referred to our collections agency?
- If so, we cannot take your payment. Please contact Municipal Services Bureau (MSB) at (800)616-0166 or www.msbselfserve.com
- You can also mail your payment to the collections agency at:
- MSB, PO Box 16755, Austin, TX 78761-6755.
- Be sure to include a reference to your case for proper credit.
Did you post a cash bond to get out of jail?
- Refunds are available to depositor upon completion of the case.
- We must have a current address for depositor. (Change of Address Form)
- Pursuant to Florida Statute 903.286, the Clerk shall withhold from the refund any fines or costs owed by the defendant on ANY case.
- If you posted a surety bond, please contact your bond agent for information about your bond.
Sealing and Expunging Criminal Records – click here
Still have questions? Contact the Criminal Department at (352) 540-6444 or email us.
State Attorney’s Office ~ (352)754-4255
Public Defender’s Office ~ (352)754-4270
State Probation (felonies) ~ (352)754-6710
County Probation (misdemeanors) ~ (352)796-8181