Clerk of Circuit Court & Comptroller
Hernando County, Florida

Home > Guardianship


Guardianships are filed for both minors and incapacitated persons, however, all Guardianship matters in the State of Florida require an attorney (Rule 5.030).  An individual, through their attorney, may file for a guardian to be appointed for an adult person when they believe that person is not mentally or physically capable of taking care of himself/herself.  A committee is appointed to evaluate the person and make their report to the court. Guardians can be appointed as guardian of the person only, property only or person and property.

Guardianships are also filed for minors when the minor child has inherited money or property in excess of $15,000.00 from a deceased person, or received money from a settlement in excess of $15,000.00.  In this case, a guardian of the property is all that is needed if the minor child's parents are living.  If a minor child's parents are deceased or unable to be appointed guardian, he/she may need a guardian of the person and property.

If you have further questions, please contact our office at (352)540-6366 or visit us in Room 247.  A fee schedule is available here.  If you have questions about professional guardians, please visit:

If you are interested in becoming a guardian, please contact the Pasco/Hernando County Guardianship Program, Inc. at (352)340-4349.